Established in 2004, Kingfisher International Inc. (KFI) is a veterinary contract research and consulting company in the Greater Toronto Area. KFI conducts GLP/GCP, regulatory and exploratory research for the veterinary pharmaceutical, biologic, and medical devices industries worldwide. Our clients range from the smallest individual researcher to pharmaceutical giants and academia. We are strongly committed to our clients, using innovative solutions and strategies to conduct studies of the highest caliber. We have a reputation for meeting these needs by providing detailed, high quality service in a professional and timely manner.
- Over 15,000 sq. ft. of study space in two purpose built facilities that meet OMAFRA, CFIA, and CCAC accreditation standards
- Multiple rooms for GLP/GCP canine and feline studies
- 2000 sq. ft. laboratory with fully validated clinical pathology capability
- Surgical and gross pathology suites
- 24/7 on-site environmental monitoring
- 24/7 on-site facility-wide video surveillance, secure card lock access
- Generator power backup
KFI complies with a multitude of regulatory bodies and guidelines including:
- FDA Good Laboratory Practices (GLP)
- VICH Good Clinical Practices (GCP)
- OECD Good Laboratory Practices (GLP)
- EPA Good Laboratory Practices (GLP)
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) accreditation
- Canadian Council on Animal Care (CCAC) accreditation
- Certified Research Facility under the Ontario Animals for Research Act
Kingfisher International is dedicated to upholding the highest standards of animal welfare; we hold great appreciation and respect for the contributions of our animals to improving companion animal health. We believe that good animal welfare equates to good science. Therefore, we are committed to providing competent and compassionate care to our animals, which in turn produces reliable data for our Sponsors and regulatory agencies.
Our facilities are fully licenced and registered under the Animals for Research Act, as administered by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA). Kingfisher also holds a certificate of Good Animal Practice through the Canadian Council on Animal Care (CCAC). As a requisite of this certification, we have an established Animal Care Committee (ACC; equivalent to the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee). Our ACC consists of community members and external veterinarians as well as KFI staff. The ACC meets regularly to review Kingfisher’s animal care and use program, to approve animal use protocols for research studies, and conducts post-approval monitoring for studies in-life. This ethical oversight facilitates the humane care and use of animals at Kingfisher.